Matsushiro Castle Ruins

This castle was built during the Sengoku (warring states, mid-15th to mid-16th C.) period by Kansuke Yamamoto under the orders of Shingen Takeda to prepare for the attack of Kenshin Uesugi. It was a natural fortress that took advantages of the local geography, standing on the riverside of Chikuma River. After Nobuyuki Sanada had moved in from Ueda Castle in the Edo period as the lord of Matsushiro Domain, ten generations of the Sanada family ruled over this land, developing a castle town of 100,000 goku (a unit of assessed crop yields of the land). A major repairment/restoration project was completed in 2004. In mid-April of every year, it becomes a popular cherry blossom viewing spot.

Address 44 Matsushiro Matsushiromachi Nagano-shi
zip code: 381-1231
Phone Number Matsushiro Cultural Facilities Management Office
Website MAPCODE * 177 833 387*36
Access Approx. 1 km from Nagano IC, or Approx. 30 min. on the bus to Matsushiro from JR Nagano station, get off at "Matsushiroeki" stop and walk for 5 min.
Parking Municipal Parking Lot: 7 large buses, approx. 23 standard size cars
Matsushiro Castle North Parking Lot (5 min. walk north of Matsushiro Castle Ruins): 10 large busses, approx. 60 standard size cars

Hours 9:00 to 17:00 Holiday Open throughout the year in principle
Price Admission free

* "マップコード" and "MAPCODE" are registered trademarks of DENSO.